Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tip Tuesday!


Every Tuesday I will share a tip with you. I am not saying I am some kind of expert but what I do know is what works for ME as well as others I have spoken to.

Today my tip is:

Get off the scale!



Most of you may not know this but I struggled with an eating disorder for many years. Those were some of the darkest years of my life and one of the ways my eating disorder manifested itself was through the scale! The scale dictated what type of day I would have depending on the number. It was a sad, sick cycle and I am so grateful to be free of that. 

Even those who do not suffer from an eating disorder can still become OBSESSED with the scale. Daily weighing, freaking out if the number went up, etc. What about if you are building muscle? The number may go up. What about if you are carrying around a little extra water weight because you ate a little more sodium than usual the day before? Here is one for you....if your clothes are fitting better, you feel amazing, you have been kicking butt with your workouts, eating clean and have more energy why the heck are you letting the number on the scale make you feel bad about yourself!? Also, the scale does not measure your kindness, beauty, or any other part of the inside of you that matters!

In my case I look like I weigh about 10 or so pounds less than I do (or so people tell me). The last time I went to the doctor the nurse weighed me and said "That can't be right, you don't weigh THAT much." No wonder we are obsessed with that number. It's the point of focus everywhere! Honestly it did get to me for about 30 minutes after my appointment  ( I am human) but then I let it go because I know how I FEEL about myself and you cannot let what someone else says rule your feelings. 

If you do want to track your fitness, that is totally fine! Take measurements and photos. Also notice how your clothes are fitting. And to my women followers please please please take note of this because from day to day our weight can fluctuate tremendously and you do not need that number hanging over your head. 

I hope you all have a great rest of your day! Contact me if you have any questions or would like to share a tip of your own with me! I plan on having guest posts for this in the future.


-Nat




2 comments:

  1. You are so right and it is really difficult to stay off the scale! I found a photo on Pinterest that shows a woman at 123lbs, 132lbs, and 137lbs. The most fit looking photo is 137lbs! Anytime I want to step on the scale or feel bad about the number I see I look up this photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Regina!! I think I've seen it too! Just goes to show that number does not define us.

    ReplyDelete